Over the past week, many of us have been playing our part best we can to help those who have been heavily impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
Many of my friends and readers from around the world have written to me asking how they can help, and who needs the help most.
From my viewpoint, obviously everyone affected needs assistance; however, there are a few groups that may need the most help. They include:
1. Undocumented residents. Many of these individuals living in the New York area have young children.
2. Residents who rent. Many of these individuals, including a large number of families with children, are not receiving the aid and relief they need, particularly since they have no insurance.
In trying to determine which organizations that may be best to provide support to, I have concluded that Catholic Charities would be my first recommendation to give support. Please consider visiting their website or calling directly at 718.722.6202.
Here is why:
- They are presently operating in some of the most impacted areas of Hurricane Sandy - meaning they are at the forefront of the battleline.
- Thought they are 'Catholic Charities', they do not consider one's religious beliefs when providing aid: they help everyone.
- They have been around a very long time, and have a tremendous reputation of helping others.
Obviously finanical donations are important and can be sent directly to Catholic Charities by visiting their website or call 718.722.6202.
As for supplies, this is what they are looking for right now:
- New Sleeping Bags and blankets
- Baby Daipers
- Baby Formula and canned food
- Socks for adults and children
- Underwear for adults and children
- Flashlights and batteries
- Cleaning Supplies
- Peanut Butter
- Cans of Tuna
- Coats and Jackets
- Gloves and Hats
- Thermal Underwear
- Rain Gear
Large Product Donation Note: If you are an group or organization that might be able to send a large supply of these items, I suggest that you direct them to Catholic Charities Central Distribution Center, which so happens to be in Rockaway, Queens, which is one of the areas most impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
The Acting Central Distribution Center Address is:
St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish
1920 New Haven Ave
Far Rockaway, New York 11691
* The individual in charge of distribution is Mr. Sheldon Peters. He can be reached at 347.585.7734.
Other Locations You Can Send Supplies To:
Blessed Virgin Mary of the Visitation
98 Richards Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231
The Shrine Church of Our Lady Of Solace
2866 West 17th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11224
St. Helen's Church
157-10 83rd Street
Howard Beach, NY 11414
In Staten Island
120 Anderson Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10202
Phone Number: 347.447.6330